Does your child need an ORIGINAL or an OFF?
We've got the perfect bike for every child! Whether the plan is to go for a ride in the park, set off on an off-road adventure or cycle leisurely through the town, our versatile woom bikes promise no end of fun in the saddle.
From the age of around six, your child will be able to choose between the woom ORIGINAL and woom OFF models. But how do you know which bike is the right one for your child? We've put together a quick guide to help you make the right choice...
Is your child so confident in the saddle that there’s really no stopping them? Do you like hopping on your own mountain bike and setting off on off-road adventures? Are you super excited about sharing your passion for mountain biking with your child? If you answered yes to these questions, the decision is made for you.
But if you're still not sure whether your child would be better off with a woom ORIGINAL or an OFF model, you need to start off by thinking about how they will be using their bike. Simply answer the following questions:
- Where does your child go on their bike?
- How far do they travel?
- What's the terrain like?
- What's your budget?
- Do you ride a mountain bike yourself?
The woom ORIGINAL is an all-round bike that is designed for getting your child from A to B on a day-to-day basis. Think the school run, play dates and those first adventures in the great outdoors.
- The forgiving steering geometry (flat steering angle) ensures that your child is well balanced and in full control of the bike.
- The lightweight tyres allow the bike to roll along nicely on an extremely wide range of terrains, ensuring excellent grip on tarmac roads, dirt tracks and gravel paths. The tyres stay in close contact with the ground even when faced with wet conditions and corners.
- In the event of a flat tyre, the wheel will need to be removed. Luckily, the wheels are attached with quick-release skewers, which make the whole removal and installation process a breeze. You just need to make sure that the wheels aren't wonky when you install them.
- You can easily adjust the height of the saddle without requiring too much strength thanks to the extra-long quick-release lever.
- The V-brakes are ideal for everyday trips around town, in the park or in the woods. They are lightweight, inexpensive and easy to maintain.
- There's no denying that kids grow fast! Thanks to the Vario stem, you have the flexibility to adjust the length and height of the bike so that it can grow with your child up to a point.
- It's no problem at all to add on practical mudguards and bike racks.
Our ORIGINAL models come in a choice of five fab colours – woom red, sunny yellow, woom green, sky blue, purple haze. So what's your child's favourite shade?
But what about if you're planning sporty off-road adventures, extended bike rides or visits to a bike park? In these cases, we'd recommend that you go for our more robust woom OFF models.
- The frame design ensures that your child can sit in a sporty position for a dynamic ride. The frame is suspension corrected, meaning that it is designed with the use of a suspension fork in mind.
- The carbon fork is ultralight with high torsional strength for ultimate stability.
- The wheels are attached with through axles, which are extremely robust. They keep the wheels firmly in place in the frame, making them ideal for rough off-road terrain on descents. Plus, there's no chance of the wheels accidentally being wonky when you install them.
- The wide MTB tyres make riding more relaxed and comfortable – even on longer bike rides. After all, these voluminous tyres boast a low rolling resistance and can be inflated to a lower pressure, meaning that vibrations and bumps on rugged terrain are absorbed very effectively and your child's energy is conserved.
- The all-terrain tyres have an impressive grip on any terrain, so your child will feel safe when riding their bike.
- The narrow-wide chainring stops the chain from slipping and coming off even on rough terrain.
- The high-performance hydraulic disk brakes make it easier for your child to tackle challenging terrain. They only need to use one or two fingers to operate the brakes, meaning they can maintain their grip on the handlebars at all times. Braking is efficient even when it's wet or muddy, which is ideal for off-road adventures. You should remember, though, that disk brakes are a little heavier and need to be checked over regularly by a specialist to ensure there are no compromises on safety. And it goes without saying that these premium disk brakes come at a price.
A wide gear range is guaranteed, with our woom ORIGINAL bikes having eight gears and our woom OFF models having nine – in line with their broad spectrum of uses. This makes it easier to pedal and takes into account all of a child's requirements perfectly.
To sum up
Our woom ORIGINAL bikes make for versatile companions for kids on a wide range of terrains. They provide the perfect introduction to the glorious world of cycling and the options to variably adjust the bikes hold the promise of many years of bike-based fun.
Our woom OFF bikes are more of a specialist option for anyone looking to really share their passion for off-road adventures with their child. The robust, all-terrain components are designed to be able to cope with rough riding surfaces. And, of course, your child can ride their mountain bike around the town too without any problems.