The woom NOW is WOW! A shower of awards for the all-new urban lifestyle bike by woom
- woom honoured by the recent flurry of international design awards
- Honours include the iF Design Award, the German Innovation Award as well as the Red Dot Award
- The new urban lifestyle bike from the Austrian brand takes home six separate design awards
Klosterneuburg, 27.05.2022: One of the world's most prestigious design awards in the form of the iF Design Award 2022 has been awarded to the Klosterneuburg-based international manufacturer of bikes for children and teenagers. The woom NOW, a bike with revolutionary geometry for kids aged 6–14 that launched in April 2022, was recognised in the Sports/Outdoor/Bicycle category. This title is now the sixth award that has gone in favour of this extraordinary product in its short lifespan.
The iF DESIGN AWARD has been organised annually by the iF International Forum Design GmbH since 1953 and grown into one of the most authoritative design competitions in the world. Internationally established as a symbol of design excellence, iF Design aims to identify, promote and support ‘good design’. In 2021, the jury received more than 10,000 submissions from more than 60 countries. In May 2022, the woom NOW – a bicycle with revolutionary geometry for kids aged 6–14 years – convinced the jury and took home top honours in the Sports/Outdoor/Bicycle category.
The woom NOW, whose integrated front rack and smaller front wheel reflect the sort of radical aesthetics as seen in the world of bicycle messengers, has already been honoured with the following internationally renowned design awards:
- 2022 German Innovation Award: Every year the German Design Council – one of the most influential centres of excellence for design, branding and innovation – recognises innovative products that can shape the future with their originality, execution and user-centricity by awarding the German Innovation Award.
- 2022 Red Dot Award: Product Design: With a reputation that extends beyond the design community, the Red Dot Award is one of the world's biggest design competitions. The award ceremony has been held annually at the Aalto Theatre in Essen, Germany, since 1955 and has established itself internationally as one of the most coveted quality seals of good design.
- 2022 Design & Innovation Award: Dubbed ‘the Oscars of the bike industry’, the German Design & Innovation Award enlists an international team of journalists, professional test riders and industry experts to scrutinise new products amongst the picture-perfect scenery of South Tyrol, Italy.
- 2022 TAIPEI CYCLE d&i Award: The annual Taipei Cycle d&i Awards provide a platform for Asian and international bike manufacturers to exhibit their most creative models. The award ceremony is the prelude to the three-day Taipei Cycle Show.
- 2022 Silver A' Design Award: Through its recognition of excellent designs, the Italian A' Design Award aims to create global appreciation and awareness of good design.
- 2022 Staatspreis Design Austria – Shortlist: Every two years, the Austrian Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs teams with designaustria to celebrate the most creative and innovative design solutions within the nation. The woom NOW was shortlisted from over 200 projects by the expert jury in the category of consumer goods. All 28 nominated products and projects will now tour Austria as part of the Best of Austrian Design exhibition, calling at the design forums in the Austrian cities of Vienna, Graz, Innsbruck and Dornbirn.
Uniting technology with aesthetics
The woom NOW was in development for a total of two years. For product designer Matthias Leite-Gürtner, who has been an integral part of the woom design team since the company was founded, receiving these awards is a satisfying confirmation for the work invested:
"We're really proud that our passion and creativity has been recognised and celebrated in this way. Here at woom, we invest a lot of time and energy tackling the question of how best to combine technology with aesthetics."
"Prizes are cool. They provide a benchmark. But it's even cooler to see our woom NOW in action. It's a bike that's going to drive urban mobility forward. The NOW is our way of contributing towards making cycling in the city even more of a natural choice for children and young people."
woom NOW – the bike revolution by woom
First launched in April 2022, the woom NOW is distinguished by its innovative frame and features. In a nod to the world of bike messengers, the woom NOW features an integrated front rack above a smaller front wheel. The result is not just a striking design but more stable and predictable handling – with or without cargo. Like all the bikes from this Austrian brand, the woom NOW is very lightweight, meticulously engineered to suit the needs and anatomy of young riders, and produced to the exacting woom standards. Find out more about the woom NOW here.
woom design made in Austria
Going forward, the 20-strong design team at woom is already busy on their next two-wheeled innovation, although this is still strictly confidential. Chris Small, who joined woom as Global Design Director at the start of May, sums up the woom aesthetic like this:
"We design modern, timeless bikes with an unwavering determination for user focused innovation. Every decision we make during the design process, whether developing a new bike, component or complementary accessory, puts our users' experience first. The most recent example of this is with our innovative NOW bike. Urban style meets innovative functionality with superb riding characteristics. A joy to design. A joy to ride."
woom NOW: imagery
Download link for product and mood photos, copyright woom GmbH
Please note: These images may only be used in relation to woom for editorial purposes. Thank you!
- Founded in 2013 by Christian Bezdeka and Marcus Ihlenfeld in a garage in Vienna.
- woom has revolutionised children's bikes and set new standards.
- woom bikes are superlight, ergonomic, have won multiple awards, and are equipped with numerous features to enhance safety.
- Today, woom is a global brand with a presence in more than 30 countries around the globe, above all in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the USA.
- 2020: woom welcomes a group of investors on board, with Marcus Ihlenfeld and Christian Bezdeka retaining a two-thirds majority.
- 2021: woom establishes exclusive Europe-based production for the European market and the 500,000th woom bike rolls off the production line.
- 2022: Further internationalisation, expansion of the dealer network and the D2C segment
Enquiries & contact:
Belinda Ableitinger, PR Manager